Railway ticket reservation
If you want to know how to book IRCTC Tatkal tickets online fast, then you have come to the right place.Recently I was very frustrated trying to book IRCTC Tatkal railway ticket online on IRCTC website. The site was slow, unresponsive and will keep on logging me out. Typically all the Tatkal ticket quota is finished in first 15 minutes once the booking opens, and by the time you log in again all the Tatkal tickets are gone.
First a checklist before you login and start the process of booking IRCTC Tatkal tickets online on IRCTC website.
- ID proof of the passengers. Remember for Tatkal train tickets you need to give the exact ID proof you fill at the time of booking to the TC in train. You fill one that you will carry with you in the journey. Accepted ID proof documents for Tatkal tickets are Driving Licence, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Govt issued ID, Bank Passbook, Credit card and Unique I-Card.
- Credit or Debit card or bank account details that you want to use for transaction. You don’t want to rush to find out the same while the IRCTC website will happily log you out in the mean time. As per the IRCTC website the Gold Credit cards have higher rate of success for transactions, so if you have a Gold Credit Card you should prefer to use it .
- Keep the codes of the Journey start and destination stations ready. Since some of the big cities have more than one Train station you don’t want to waste time looking for the exact station. E.g when you type are booking tickets for Delhi you will get more than 10 options and not all of them are for Delhi. Also While your train may be going to Hazrat Nizamuddin station that has code NZM so you will not find it when you type Delhi. Hence keep the station code ready and type it to speed up things
- Now login to the IRCTC website 10 minutes before the Tatkal online booking time of 10 am a day before the date of journey e.g to travel on 15th February you can book Tatkal train ticket only from 10 am of 14th February.
- Once you login, IRCTC will ask you for Name, age, food preference for the passengers. Either you can keep it typed in a notepad and copy paste it, or those of you who are more tech savvy can use this online form in advance to fill the details. I prefer to fill manually by copying pasting the relevant details as I am not very tech savvy. This link will also give you an excellent video by Amit Agarwal of Digital Inspiration fame, on steps to book IRCTC tickets, but remember if you are not very tech savvy you should practice the steps mentioned to fill auto form well in advance to avoid last-minute learning.
- In case you have filled Lower birth option then the IRCTC website will give you option if you want to book tickets only if the Lower Birth tickets are available. My suggestion is to go with the option “None” as this will increase your chances of success to get a tatkal ticket. In case you are not comfortable on higher birth you can always request some fellow traveler to exchange seats with you. If you choose book tickets only if Lower birth is available your ticket will not be booked when no lower birth is available while other births may be available. So don’t be too picky about the birth, just move on to the next step.
- Fill the phone number where you would like the text SMS for ticket to receive. Remember you do not have to take printout of train tickets in India as long as you have the text SMS from IRCTC in your phone.
- This is a very important step as you will have to fill the image shown as CAPTCHA in to the space provided. Now a lot of captcha images are not case-sensitive but in case of Tatkal railway tickets booking online on IRCTC website they are case-sensitive so make sure you are using the correct upper or lower case. Speed and accuracy is of essence in those 15 minutes when the Tatkal tickets are being lapped up by thousands across India and you do not want to make a silly mistake and miss on the Tatkal tickets. You don’t want to repeat the whole process by wrongly typing in lower or upper case.